B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010.
Computer Science and Engineering
CS2252 – MICROPROCESSORS AND MICRO CONTROLLERS
(Common to Information Technology)
Time: Three hours Maximum:100 marks
Answer ALL Questions.
PART A- (10 X 2= 20 marks)
1. Assume that the accumulator contains data types 82H and the instruction MOV C, A (4FH) is fetched. List the steps in encoding and executing the instruction.
2. What are the second bytes in the instruction IN and OUT of 8085 microprocessor?
3. Draw the 8086 flag register format.
4. List different types of 8086 hardware interrupts.
5. Compare closely coupled configuration with loosely coupled configuration.
6. Mention the need for co- processor in a microprocessor based system.
7. Can an input port and an output port have the same port address? Justify.
8. Why is each channel in DMA controller restricted to 16K bytes of data transfer?
9. With XTAL = 11.0592 MHz, what value should be loaded into TH1 to have 9600 baud rate?
10. How do you select the register bank in 8051 micro-controller?
PART B- (5 X 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Write an 8085 assembly language program with flowchart for the following: Six bytes are stored in memory locations starting at XX50H. Add all the data bytes. Use register B to save any carry generated while adding the data bytes. Store the sum at two consecutive memory locations, XX70H and XX71H. Data (H): A2, FA, DF, E5, 98, 8B. (8 Marks)
(ii) Write a program to generate a continuous square wave with the period of 500 microseconds. Assume the system clock period is 325ns and use bit D0 to output the square wave. (8 Marks)
(b) (i) Explain the following 8085 instructions with an example JP, JPO, CM, RPE, DAA, XCHG, SPHL and PCHL. (8 Marks)
(ii) Draw the timing diagram for the instruction MVI A, 32h and OUT 01h. (8 Marks)
12. (a) (i) Draw the internal block diagram of 8086 microprocessor and explain. (8 Marks)
(ii) Explain any eight assembler directives of 8086 microprocessor. (8 Marks)
(b) (i) Give three examples for the following 8086 microprocessor instructions: String Instructions, Process Control Instruction, Program Execution Transfer Instructions and Bit manipulation Instructions. (12 Marks)
(ii)How does one define and call macro parameters of 886 microprocessor? (4 Marks)
13. (a) (i) Draw the internal block diagram of 8087 Co- processor and explain it with 8087 control word and status word formats. (12 Marks)
(ii) Give two examples for packed decimal data transfers and integer data transfers of an 8087 co- processor. (4 Marks)
(b) Draw the architecture of 8089 I/O co- processor and explain. (16 Marks)
14. (a) Draw the block diagram of 8279 keyboard/ Display controller and explain hoe to interface the Hex Key pad and 7- segment LEDs using 8279. (16 Marks)
(b) (i) Draw the functional block diagram of 8254 timer and explain the different modes of operation. (8 Marks)
(ii) Draw the block diagram of 8259A and explain how to program 8259A. (8 Marks)
15. (a) (i) Explain the memory structure of an 8051 Micro-controller. (8 Marks)
(ii) How does one interface a 16 X 2 LCD Display using 8051 Micro-controller? (8 Marks)
(b) (i) Explain the on- chip timer modes of an 8051 Micro-controller. (8 Marks)
(ii) Explain how interface an 8- bit ADC with 8051 Micro-controller. (8 Marks)
Download – Mup University QP :